Azerbaijan and Armenia violate the ceasefire agreement
Azerbaijan and Armenia have accused each other of swiftly violating the terms of a ceasefire brokered by Russia over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
The Armenian defense ministry accused Azerbaijan of shelling a settlement inside Armenia, while ethnic Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh alleged that Azeri forces had launched a new offensive five minutes after the truce took hold.
“Ignoring the cease-fire announced for humanitarian purposes effective as of October 10, 12:00, the Azerbaijani units launched an assault on an area called ‘Karakhambeyli’ at 12:05. Units of the Artsakh Defense Army take appropriate measures to halt the enemy attack,” Armenian Defense Ministry press spokeswoman Shushan Stepanyan wrote on Twitter.
Ignoring the ceasefire announced for humanitarian purposes effective as of October 10, 12:00, the #Azerbaijani units launched an assault on an area called "Karakhambeyli" at 12:05. Units of the Artsakh #DefenseArmy take appropriate measures to halt the enemy attack.
— Shushan Stepanyan (@ShStepanyan) October 10, 2020
Meanwhile, Azerbaijan said enemy forces in the disputed region were shelling Azeri territory.
“Armenia is blatantly violating the cease-fire regime,” the statement said, claiming there had been attacks in two directions on the front line.
Both sides have consistently denied each others’ assertions about military activity.
The cease-fire was agreed after 10 hours of talks sponsored by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.
Nagorno-Karabakh is recognized as part of Azerbaijan under international law.
But ethnic Armenians, who make up the vast majority of the population, reject the Azerbaijani rule and have been running their own affairs with Armenia’s support since a devastating war in the 1990s following the collapse of the Soviet Union.