Moria migrants refuse to enter the new camp while more aids are required
Greece said Sunday it hoped thousands of asylum seekers left homeless by fires at Europe’s largest migrant camp on the island of Lesbos could be rehoused within a week.
The announcement came as a new so-called tent city at Kara Tepe opened to the first people.
Around 300 refugees and migrants moved into the new camp facility being built by the Greek army.
Greek Migration Minister Notis Mitarachi told reporters Sunday that: “In five days the operation will be concluded. Everybody will be inside the new camp.”
Soldiers have set up between 300 and 350 tents and continued working into the night.
But a large number of migrants, who were residents of the destroyed Moria camp, have refused to enter the new facility, demanding asylum to other EU countries or better living conditions.
The new camp will be manned by police and Moria migrants fear it will be like a prison.
More aid from EU are demanded
Greece’s prime minister demanded on Sunday that the European Union take a greater responsibility for managing migration into the bloc, as Greek authorities promised that 12,000 migrants and asylum-seekers left homeless after fire gutted an overcrowded camp would be moved shortly to a new tent city
Germany’s offer to take in up to 150 children was met with widespread criticism earlier this week by rights groups, who say Germany can afford to house more of the homeless migrants.
Development Minister Gerd Müller became the latest high-profile politician to criticize Interior Minister Horst Seehofer’s quota, on Sunday calling for Germany to take 2,000 of the migrants.
At the Vatican, Pope Francis expressed solidarity Sunday with the migrants on Lesbos and called for “dignified” welcome for them. Francis had visited the Moria camp in 2016, bringing back to Rome with him 12 Syrian refugees.
You might also be interested in: