Nadal criticizes “barbaric” plans
The US Open is expected to rise despite the high number of infections – but more and more stars do not want to participate. The tennis star combined his rejection of the major tournament in New York with criticism of the tight schedule after the forced break.
The makers of the US Open are unwavering, but gradually the stars are running away – since Tuesday, Rafael Nadal has also had no desire to play tennis in the Corona hotspot. “It’s a decision I never wanted to make,” wrote in a statement on Twitter, “but I will follow my heart. I would rather not travel at the moment.”
Only the world number one Ashleigh Barty and her Australian compatriot Nick Kyrgios (ATP No. 29) were even faster, but Nadal is still one of the pioneers – and at the latest, the cancellation of the Spanish superstar could result in an avalanche. The tournament is to be played in New York from August 31.
“The global situation is very complicated, the COVID 19 case numbers are increasing, it looks like we still have no control,” the 34-year-old warned on Tuesday. And Nadal also rubs against the tight calendar, which should still allow as many major tournaments as possible after the break. These plans are “barbaric after four months without a game”.
“I waive for people”
It has been observed for weeks that doubts are growing in the industry. Numerous sizes have so far shied away from the final step. In contrast; Barty and Kyrgios made nails with heads. “I waive for the people, for my Aussies, for the hundreds of thousands of Americans who have lost their lives, for all of you,” said Kyrgios.
Germany’s number one Alexander Zverev is still torn. A cancellation should rather come from the organizers. “Of course we sat down together. My mother will not come, she is older,” said the 23-year-old: “I would prefer the US Open not to take place. But if it does take place; what should we players do? It’s also about ranking points. ”
You might also be interested in: