Nagorno-Karabakh conflict: Azerbaijan hits Armenian missile launch sites
Azerbaijan on Wednesday claimed that it hit two missile launch sites in Armenia, amid Russia tries to shore up a ceasefire.
Although the two sides have agreed on a cease-fire last week brokered by Russia, heavy fighting has erupted in the Nagorno-Karabakh region.
Azerbaijan claimed that a ballistic missile system and a rocket system at the sites were targeting civilian areas, and its president has said military operations are continuing.
Meanwhile, Armenia’s defense ministry confirmed that sites within Armenia had been struck.
It says it “reserves the right to target any military installations and combat movements on the territory of Azerbaijan.”
The two sides claim the other has violated the agreement.
Azerbaijan also accused Armenia of firing a ballistic missile at a residential part of Ganja, Azerbaijan’s second-largest city.
Azeri President Ilham Aliyev Wednesday said that Azerbaijan was continuing a military operation to free territory in Nagorno-Karabakh, Russian news agency Interfax reported. Aliyev also accused Armenia of trying to attack its gas and oil pipelines, in an interview with Turkish broadcaster Haberturk. He warned of a “severe” response.
On the other side, the Nagorno-Karabakh defense ministry accused Azeri forces of launching artillery and rocket attacks in several areas.
Defense officials in the enclave said their forces had shot down an Azeri Su-25 fighter jet, a claim Azerbaijan has rejected.
Fighting broke out on September 27. Since then, more than 400 people have been killed in fighting over the contested region. Nagorno-Karabakh is officially part of Azerbaijan but under control of ethnic Armenian forces backed by Armenia since the end of a separatist war in 1994.