Nearly 100 people killed in the continuous Armenian-Azerbaijani battle
Nearly 100 people, including civilians, have died as battles rage on between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
Fighting between Azerbaijani and Armenian forces in the Caucasus continued overnight into Tuesday, following two days of escalation and numerous casualties reported in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
So far at least 84 people have been killed in the conflict which began on Sunday morning when violence broke out between Azerbaijani forces and ethnic Armenian separatists.
Armenian forces reportedly attempted to launch counterattacks on the third day of the conflict in order to recover several villages that had fallen into the hands of the Azerbaijani military on Monday.
The two sides have employed heavy artillery with both military and civilian targets being hit.
On Tuesday, Armenia’s defence ministry said a passenger bus had been hit by an Azerbaijani drone in the eastern Armenian city of Vardenis. There were no reports of casualties.
Azerbaijan has also not revealed its military losses, but it said two Azerbaijani civilians had been killed in Armenian shelling in Azerbaijan on Monday, following the deaths of five people from the same family a day earlier.
As the fighting is the heaviest seen in the conflict since 2016, the UN Security Council is due to hold emergency talks on the issue later on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, German Chancellor Angela Merkel called for an immediate end to the violence after speaking with the Armenian prime minister, Nikol Pashinyan, on Monday and the Azerbaijani president, Ilham Aliyev, on Tuesday.
“The chancellor … urgently called for an immediate ceasefire and a return to the negotiating table,” her spokesman Steffen Seibert wrote on Twitter.
The mountainous enclave is recognized as part of Azerbaijan but has been run by Armenians since a war ended in 1994.