US elections: The second presidential debate is officially canceled
The next United States presidential debate between U.S. President Donald Trump and Democratic challenger Joe Biden has been officially canceled.
After US President Donald Trump and his Democratic challenger, Joe Biden, disagreed this week over the possibility of holding the event virtually, the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) confirmed late Friday that the debate was officially canceled.
“The CPD will turn its attention to preparations for the final presidential debate scheduled for October 22,” the commission said.
The debate, originally scheduled as a town hall-style encounter in Miami, was intended to be the second of three presidential debates.
Earlier on October 1, Trump was tested positive for COVID-19 and spent three days hospitalized receiving treatment before being released on Monday.
Trump rejected the option of holding a TV virtual debate with his competitor Joe Biden in an interview with Fox Business Network.
The Trump campaign said in a statement there is “no medical reason to stop the Oct. 15 debate from proceeding as scheduled, since the president will be healthy and ready to debate”.
It also accused the commission, headed by a former chairman of the Republican National Committee, “biased” toward Biden.
Meanwhile, the Biden campaign, for its part, had suggested that the October 15 town hall be moved a week later “so that the president is not able to evade accountability”. The former vice president later said he would do a solo town hall that same night.
However, the CDP said both candidates had agreed to participate in the October 22 debate, which would be held at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennesse.