Vienna attack: Police arrest 14 people link to the gun attack
Police have arrested 14 people who had links with the Vienna gunman, Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said.
“This shows the resolute and relentless approach of our police and justice authorities in the fight against terrorism in our country,” Nehammer told Austrian news agency APA.
Austrian police have urged people to stay indoors as they hunt for suspects after a multiple gun attack in the capital Vienna that killed four people.
Earlier o Monday, two men and two women were killed after gunmen opened fire at six locations in the city center. Twenty-two others were wounded.
One suspected attacker, who was armed with an assault rifle and wearing a fake suicide vest, was shot dead by police.
The police have identified the dead gunman as a 20-year-old “Islamist terrorist” who was released early from jail in December after being jailed for 22 months in April 2019, as he was trying to get to war-torn Syria to join Islamic State (IS) jihadists.
The man was originally from North Macedonia and had a previous conviction for terrorist association, Mr. Nehammer said. He had both Austrian and Macedonian citizenship.
However, Mr. Nehammer told an early morning press conference on Tuesday that more perpetrators may be on the run and urged citizens to stay home if possible.
Austrian daily Der Standard reports that 90% of shops in the city center are now shut.
The attack came as many people were out and about enjoying the last evening before a nationwide coronavirus lockdown was due to come into force.
It also follows France’s Islamist militant attacks.
Last month French history teacher Samuel Paty was beheaded outside a school in a suburb of Paris. Then, as the government launched new measures to tackle militant Islam, a Tunisian man fatally stabbed three people in a cathedral in Nice.